24 August 2013

The Fox and the Crow

A fox once saw a Crow fly off with a piece 
of cheese in its beak and settle on a 
branch of a tree.  
'That's for me, as I am a fox,' thought 
Master Reynard, the cunning fox. 
He walked up to the foot of the tree.
'Good day, Mistress Crow,' he cried. 
'How well you are looking today, how 
glossy your feathers are and how bright
 your eyes. I feel sure that you are 
better than all the other birds. 
Let me hear a beautiful song from 
you as I am sure that you will have a 
beautiful tuneful voice too'.
The crow thought for a little while 
and then lifted her head up and began 
to caw her best tune. 
'Caw, Caw, caw,' she said. The noise 
was dreadful. But at the moment that 
she opened up her beak to sing the 
piece of cheese fell out of her mouth 
and on to the ground. As quick as a flash 
the cheese was gobbled up by 
Master Reynard.
'Ha ha, ' he laughed 'that was all I wanted'. 
And with that he ran off.

Moral of the tale
Do not trust flatterers

No comments:

Post a Comment